November 10, 2008

Sentry HO800 Wireless Headphones

Manufacturer: Sentry Industries

I purchased one of the units for my band to use while we record in the studio. And we were thoroughly impressed with the quality of this product.

Features:
• Headphones with Wireless Transmitter
• Signal Broadcasts Up to 100 Feet
• Soft Ear Pads & Headband
• LED Power Indicator
• Rotary Volume Control
• Listen to Any Audio Device
• Great for MP3/CD/DVD/MD/TV/CAR/MAC/PC
• All Cables Included
• Signal Passes through Walls & Doors

The two-pack consists of the wireless transmitter and one pair of headphones both of which are pictured above.

The transmitter unit is powered by one 9-volt battery and the headphones and powered by 2 AAA batteries. This makes this unit 100% portable without needing an external power source for the transmitter.

Both pieces are extremely light. For the size of the headphones they are light and comfortable. And the 2 AAA batteries that power the headphones do not add to the weight. The headphones were comfortable for the hours straight I was using them in the studio.

The transmitter has an on/off switch and LED light to show its status. It has an antenna which you can position for best coverage.

The headphones have a battery compartment in the left earcup and the right earcup features an on button, an off button, and LED light to indicate whether the headset is on or off and a rotary dial which allows you to control the volume for the headset itself. The power buttons can help lengthen the life of the AAA batteries as you can shut them off when you want to stop listening.

You will have to be at the receiver to turn it off.

Now for the two most important factors for wireless headphones: the sound and how well the wireless works.

The headphones have great quality. I continuously changed the EQ on the stereo to which I had attached the transmitter without the headphone's speakers getting distorted. I was also able to turn the volume up to maximum comfortable listening volume (which for me is quite high) without causing any distortion of crackling in the speakers. And our music in the studio was sounding precisely how we wanted it to come off.

And as far as the wireless goes it seemed to do at least everything that the product's page stated that they would. I set it up and listened to my stereo in the bathroom. And then I proceded to walk outside which allowed me to test many other factors.

1) My building's walls are 2 feet of solid concrete and there was no disruption of service.

2) It was a very blustery day with high winds and the wind did not cause problems with the service.

3) I walked under powerlines which can cause disruption in many devices as well as around stereos using antennas without causing any problems with the wireless system.

4) I didn't measure the exact distance I had walked before the signal turned to static but I would have to measure it at over 100 feet.

It seems that the best way to use this system is to turn up the volume on the source (in my case the shelf stereo system) at least the a level that you can comfortably listen to. This allows you to manipulate the volume wheel on the headphones to get a volume level that you like while away from the source. You don't have to worry about turning the headphone's volume all the way up and whatever you are listening to being loud enough.

The 2 pack also includes the necessary cables to connect the transmitter to whatever you want to hear from a distance. The initial jack is a 1/8" connector which is used largely in mp3 players, portable cd players and most handheld video game systems. The set also includes a 1/4" jack which is great for plugging into guitar effects pedals or amp (yes, I did this) and older stereos may have a 1/4" input.

This set was extremely useful in that it allowed me to be further away from the recording rig without having a headphone cable getting into the way of my guitar.

The headphones use signal lock to automatically receive the transmitter's signal.

Now after all that I, personally, would expect to pay a pretty penny. Comfortable headphones, low power draw (I am using a 9-volt battery and AAAs from a dollar store and they are still going strong!), great range and superb sound. But I purchased this set in a Big Lots store for the amazing price of $14.99! Which is less than comparable standard/wired headphones!

Buy this item!

1 comment:

  1. I can't seem to get mine to work in stereo.
    Despite all stereo plugs, adaptor, and stereo
    sound source, and L and R on the ear cups, I
    can always only get a mono signal on the headphones.

    Also suspicious nowhere on the unit does it say
    Stereo Headphones, only Dynamic Headphones.

    Let me know what I'm doing wrong, if anything
    I HOPE I'm doing something wrong, because other
    than that the sound qu. is good, and it does work in stereo, then the 19.99 i paid is pretty amazing. If they're only mono, then the 19.99 price makes sense...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment about this product and the review itself. It will help future readers judge the value of this review. Thank you for helping!